Cave Canem


Mosaic of the Cave Canem (detail). From pompeiiinpictues
23 November
Dear Diary,
Mom and Dad said that I cannot have a puppy until Flora is a bit bigger, and that I should just stop insisting. What does "a bit bigger" even mean? I'm sure it's just a way to keep me quiet for a while. Probably they hope I'll soon forget about this. They couldn't be more wrong.

28 November
Dear Diary,
you won't believe what happened today! There was a dog in our garden!!! I'm pretty sure he doesn't belongs to any of the neighbors, I have never seen him before. Maybe he is a poor stray. I really think I should help him!

29 November
Dear Diary,
I saw my dog again. It's so beautiful! Really!!! It's bigger than I thought yesterday, when I saw it the first time. There is no chance Mom and Dad will ever be okay with me keeping him. But I can befriend him in the meantime, and help him. I don't want him to be lonely.

30 November
Dear Diary,
I have wonderful news! I left some food for my dog in the garden, after everyone had gone to sleep. And he came!!! I looked at him from the window, while he was eating. But I kept the lights off, so I wouldn't scare him. He's gorgeous! Has a lovely dark grey fur. I bet it's so soft! I've called him GREG. Maybe one day he'll trust me enough to eat from my hand. Can't wait! <3 <3 <3

4 December
Dear Diary,
I'm so happy when Greg comes visit me. It's something just between us, our little secret. I use my money to buy him food and treats. I keep them hidden in my room and feed them to him at night. I'm only sad because he always eats everything I give him in less than a minute! Clearly he would like more, but I can't give him anything else and sometimes I feel very bad about it.

7 December
Dear Diary,
Today I made an experiment! I left the food for Greg in the garden, as usual. But, this time, instead of going to my room and watch him from the window, I remained in the garden. He came and started eating. I was being very quiet but he saw me almost immediately, in the dark. I was afraid I'd scared him away, but NO!!! he just looked at me and kept eating. It's like he knew it was me feeding him. This is so great! I'm sure he will soon let me pet him! His eyes are big and yellow.

10 December
Dear Diary,
I think I just defused a bomb! This morning, where I usually leave the food for Greg I found...a shoe! It was all chewed up! :-) He must have stolen it from one of the houses nearby to play with it. I'm so lucky it wasn't mom's or dad's. They will have found out about Greg and I'm sure they wouldn't approve. It's not a big shoe, it probably belongs to some of the kids around. I've hidden it in my room for now.

11 December
Dear Diary,
Mom yesterday asked me if I had seen Martin, Annie and Peter's son. I don't even know why, we go to the same school but he's two years older and it's not like we're friends or anything. My parents are strange, sometimes!

Dear Diary,
I was being very unfair! It seems like Martin has disappeared. A lot of the kids in the school have been questioned by the police. We were all sent home early. I was glad because I wasn't feeling very well.

12 December
Dear Diary,
I didn't want to keep that shoe in my room anymore. I buried it in the garden. Also, I have decided to interrupt my experiment. I don't want Greg to eat from my hands. I left the food for him at the usual place yesterday and, after he wolfed it down, he kept staring at me as if I had to give him more. I can't give him more, you know that. And it's mean that he's not even grateful for all I've done for him so far.

17 December
Dear Diary,
Help! I don't want Greg in the garden anymore and I don't know what to do! I don't feed him anymore, and I thought that would stop his visits. But I was wrong! He is still there every night. I can't sleep if I know that he is in the garden. I spend hours at the window, waiting for him to leave. But he doesn't. He stays there all night, and just stares at my window with his yellow eyes. I keep the lights off but it's like he sees me anyway. He knows I'm here. I want him to leave me in peace. Leave! Leave! Leave! What have I done?!

Comments

Popular Posts